Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Fall Season in Red Rocks Country, Colorado

         The Aspen trees are so prevalent in Colorado that there is even a town named after them.  Fall in south Colorado is made even more dramatic with red rock landscapes in the background.  The landscape in Colorado is very different from California even though some of the trees may be similar.  Photographing in fall also becomes more of a challenge because of frequent high winds.  At a time like this I am grateful for digital technology which enables me to take some images without a tripod in strong winds.
         It is fascinating to see how the trees rejuvenate after a fire.  The Aspen trees in fact show a tendency to reproduce well after a fire, getting nourishment from the  charred vegetation. Another interesting observation about the Aspen is that it reproduces by cloning sending out suckers from existing root systems.    It is yet another example of nature finding a way to survive and propagate.  The golden shimmer of Aspen leaves fluttering gives them the familiar name 'the Quaking Aspen' and is a truly dramatic part of the fall landscape.
       When I am busy photographing, I am often caught up in the majesty of the moment, admiring and capturing the scenes I see.  It is only after I return from a trip that I have a chance to reflect and analyse some of the impressions I took.  On further analysis I find that I have not only captured beautiful scenes but learnt a little more about natural selection, geology and geography also in the process, a great bonus.
      You can view the gamut of fall scenes in Red Rock Country here.

No comments :

Post a Comment