Monday, January 4, 2010

The Great Egret takes flight

In the last few years I have found photographing birds challenging and rewarding.  They have an immense intelligence which can surprise us.  Their sense of sound and instinct for danger is much sharper than human beings. A small bird like a Warbler which loves the rivers in Wyoming, moves around with an energy which makes it hard to photograph!  The Sandhill Crane has a majesty and power which can leave one spellbound.  Watching  thousands of cranes taking off in unison at sunrise left me awestruck and this will remain a very memorable experience.

The Egret is found commonly in the Bay area and is less shy of humans compared to others like the White Pelican.  I was lucky to be quite close to this one and get a shot of it taking off from the water, which I have selected as one of the images for my blog.

As I keep photographing these wondrous creatures, I keep getting reminded of how fragile their existence is.  Their habitats are being damaged and climate change is making their migratory patterns different.  We get reminded of the crying need to protect them and the constant need to strike a balance between technological advancement and protecting natural resources.

Enjoy seeing more of my Bird Photographs.  I would love to get your comments and hear about any experiences you have.  You can also contact me through my website .

No comments :

Post a Comment